Total Pageviews

Tuesday, 27 November 2007

Sometimes it just happens

I have had many a drink with a good friend. I pride myself on the fact that I have never been drunk in my life. Some people think that is not living, but I am too much of a control freak to let something like that happen. And who the hell needs the headache if you suffer from sinus headaches anyway?

But, (and isn't there ALWAYS a "BUT"), the one time I came really close, it was in April 1995, one year after the elation of the first democratic elections in South Africa. We were at the Town Hall square in Kimberley, Lidia and I, enjoying the fun and games of the first year of democracy celebrations. The Greenie was studying for something at his house. We ran into a man I thought I would never have to face again, who dragged me to the depths of sadness and the highs of anger just a mere 7 months before. Civilized person that I am, we spent the rest of the day with him. I needed to show him I was the bigger person (back then, I was really thin!) Anyway, we ended up at the Star of the West, that great Kimberley institution. It was a perfect autumn day. And with U2 in our ears, we had a fantastic time.

By the time I got to the Greenie, I was positively smashed. But I remember it all vividly - which is my defence if anyone would ever call me drunk! He made me comfortable on his futon and took my shoes off (boots, if I remember correctly) and offered me coffee or soup. Such is the fantastic nature of this man, who loves me more than words can say and certainly more than I deserved that day! Then I slept for a while and had my coffee when I woke up.

So, what is the significance of this? You might be forgiven for asking this question, but the moral of the story in it for me was someone who did not ask any questions, took one look at me and realised I needed a friend more than a lecture and certainly something to eat or drink in my body that had been punished by the beautiful autumn sun in Kimberley. Sometimes it is the right thing to do - just shut up, don't ask anything and fix things for your friends. Sometimes you need the nagging, the whining and the badgering until things are resolved. I place an extremely high value on friendship. And if you are as blessed as I am to have married your best friend, you are doubly blessed.

No comments: