The whanau and I went to Seymour to plant some trees today. It is always Planet Ark's national tree planting day on the last Sunday in July. What fun we had. So many people there and heaps of kids. The whole thing in Seymour started 3 years ago when I was working there for The Seymour We Want Inc. - a community group that really knows what changing a community is all about. Last year this time we were in South Africa, Lin and I, and the family went by themselves. Since then I have left TSWW and today went back to just enjoy the day. The rain held off until we've put 300 wattles, gum trees and various shrubs and grasses down in the mulch.
I love trees, they have always fascinated me. They can sway, and yet stay rooted. I think that is what I like the most. And, of course, the sound. Anyone who've read my poetry will know the various references to the sound of the wind in gum trees. When the Greenie and I went to Zimbabwe on our honeymoon, we literally chased after trees. Other newlyweds pack the Trivial Pursuit or Pictionary (pretence, as you do), but we worked our way through the Guide to trees in Zimbabwe. We have several pictures of us by sausage trees or embracing massive baobabs.
And, of course the beautiful timeless kameeldoring (camel thorn). Is there a more beautiful tree in this world? In New Zealand we admired the massive kauri and rimu. Although the landscape is so quiet and the green slurps up all the sound, you cannot help but wonder what they have seen over hundreds of years. What could they tell?
Now, in Oz, the choice is really gum or gum. The national flower of Australia is the golden wattle, in itself a lovely tree, but not nearly as majestic as a redgum or ironbark. We went to the Barmah forest a few weeks back - beautiful. In and around Heathcote here, we are blessed with wonderful forests and the sight of the McIvor ranges is beautiful indeed any time of the day. Some people find them quite scraggly, ugly even - looking out for the perfection of an oak tree or cypress or pine. I find gum trees full of character, but never forget how thirsty they are!
In the movie Phenomenon with John Travolta there is one scene where he stands with his eyes closed and listens and sways with the wind to the sound in the trees. I love that movie - never mind the sad, sad ending (it is after all his wonderful legacy that matters), but that scene is so real and believable that I can copy it myself when a low wind stirs in the maroelas.
1 comment:
hey - we watched that movie on sunday night!!!! we must be on the same wave length right now!!!
lol rachxx
Post a Comment